Wednesday, April 4, 2012

5:24


We have to stop war. It’s an addiction. We don’t need military superpowers. Is it possible that having military bases in 100 countries is antagonising? Is it possible that it causes terrorism when there a foreign military in your land? Why do we have military superpowers? Why can’t we have humanitarian superpowers? Instead of dropping bombs, why can’t we drop food and medicine?  (Para. Howard Zinn)

We don’t need new weapons with the ability to kill thousands more people. We need more efficient ways of distributing aid and help. The cost of the US involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan since 2001 is closing in on 1.4 trillion dollars. That’s nearly enough to wipe third world debt. THREE times.

We don’t necessarily need to capture another African war-lord. And we definitely don’t need to invade another Middle-Eastern country. What we need to do is to stop being selfish and become selfless. Christ didn’t die so that we would fight more wars, he died so that everyone could be loved and could be made equal.

“I want justice—oceans of it. I want fairness—rivers of it. That's what I want. That's all I want.” Amos 5:24 (MSG)

11 million children dying a year, as a cause of poverty is not just OR fair. Fighting a war is not going to solve the world’s problems. It will cause more. War makes people angry; people will always fight back, creating a perpetual cycle of violence.

No comments:

Post a Comment